Awards, Accolades & Anniversaries
Recognition for Tucson's travel industry, accolades for jobs well-done & anniversaries of tourism partners.
Awards & Accolades
Tucson Destination & Visit Tucson Partners (updated July 2018)
- #8 of 100 Best Cities for Recreation in the United States, WalletHub, July 3, 2018
- Tucson, "10th Most Affordable Destination for An Individual;" "11th Most Affordable Destination for Families," SmartAsset, June 19, 2018
- El Guero Canelo, America’s Classics Award, James Beard Foundation, May 2018.
- Tucson, "The Most Underrated Vacation Spot in Arizona," The Daily Meal, All Things Food & Drink, May 8, 2018
- #5 of 10 cities ranked overall in America’s Best Places for Bikes, PlacesForBikes Rating System, May 2, 2018
- Congress Street among "five Great Streets" on American Planning Association's Great Places in America, October 2017.
- #14 of 20 "Hippest Cities in the US Everyone Under 30 Wants to Move To," MoveHub, reported in BusinessInsider, December 4, 2017.
- #89 0f 100 "World's Best Cities 2018," A Ranking of Global Place Equity, Resonance Consultancy, October 2017.
- Tucson Sports Named 2018 Readers’ Choice Award winner, SportsEvents Media Group, January 2018 issue of SportsEvents Magazine
- Oro Valley Named "Arizona's Best Small City," WalletHub, October 30, 2017
- Tucson Among "14 Cities That Give You The Worst Case of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out)," Expedia, Viewfinder Travel Blog, October 24, 2017
- #21 of 50 Overall, Most Up-And-Coming Cities in America, Yelp Local Economic Outlook, October 2017
- #16 of 20 "America's Most Underrated Cities," Travel + Leisure, October 20, 2017
- Tucson among 9 cities designated as a World Festival & Event City, International Festivals & Events Association (IFEA), September 15, 2017
- #7 of 100 Best Cities for Recreation in 2017, WalletHub.com, July 2017
- #2 of 10 "Best Small American Cities 2017" (Population under 1 Million) for 2017, Resonance Consultancy, ResonanceCo.com, June 15, 2017
- #9 of "10 US Cities Where Everyone Wants to Live Right Now," by Business Insider (business news website), Jun. 6, 2017
- #48 of Top 50 Meeting Destinations In The United States, Cvent, May 16, 2017
- #1 Hotel of the Year, Select-Service Division-Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University, Interstate Hotels & Resorts, April 2017
- #2 of Top 9 Hotels for Nature Lovers-Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, Sunset Magazine, April 18, 2017
- #7 of 12 Best Weekend Getaways, U.S. News & World Report, Travel Rankings, March 31, 2017
- #10 of 12 Best Golf Destinations, which includes several international destinations. U.S. News & World Report, Travel Rankings, 2017
- #3 of 10 Best Zoos in the United States-Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, USA Today, 10 Best-Readers' Choice Travel Awards, 2017
- #10 of Top 10 North American Gardens Worth Traveling For-Tucson Botanical Gardens, Garden Tourism Awards, Canadian Garden Council and the American Public Gardens Association, March 27, 2017
- #8 of 15 Best Festivals in Arizona-Arizona International Film Festival, Best of Arizona, March 24, 2017
- #5 of 20 Most Overlooked Cities in America, DK Eyewitness Travel, March 8, 2017
- #23 of 50 best bike cities – Bicycling Magazine, September 2016
- #7 of 10 Top Destinations on the Rise - United States: Tucson, Arizona, TripAdvisor 2016 Travelers' Choice Awards, December 21, 2016
- Best Winter Trips 2017, Tucson, Arizona: For the Food, National Geographic, Published December 6, 2016
- 10 Best Mexican Restaurants in the United States-El Charro Café, Money Inc, September 2016
- #20 best retirement city out of 150 cities in the USA - WalletHub, August 2016
- #2 of top-10 USA cities for stretching a dollar - CareerCast.com, July 2016
- 7th best music city in the USA - Value Penguin, July 2016
- Best under the radar food city in the USA - Wine Enthusiast, July 2016
- #7 of Top 10 most affordable USA travel destinations for family of 4 - SmartAsset, June 2016
- #7 best bike rides in the world, Mt. Lemmon - 1843 magazine, June 2016
- 9th best summer destination - Travelocity.com, June 2016
- Least expensive cities for business travel - Business Travel News, May 2016
- First city in USA named a UNESCO City of Gastronomy - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), December 2015
- Tucson is listed as one of the Best U.S. Cycling Towns in USA Today's 10Best Readers' Choice travel awards poll
- Fox News Travel lists The Loop in Tucson as one of America's Best City Bike Paths
- USA Today named Tucson as one of the Top-10 mountain bike destinations in the country
- Walkscore.com ranks Tucson as the #8 Most Bikeable Large City in the U.S.
- Outside Online lists Tucson as one of the top ten "outside" bike towns
- The Travel Channel lists Tucson as a Top Ten Cycling City in the U.S.
- USA Today Travel lists Tucson as One of Ten Great Places for City Cycling
Visit Tucson & Tucson Destination Marketing Awards
- Association Conventions & Facilities magazine - Distinctive Achievement Award, August/September 2017
- Cvent, Inc. - Top 50 Meeting Destinations in the United States - 2013 , 2015, 2016, 2017,
- Facilities & Destinations - Top Destination Award from Facilities & Destinations magazine, (the award is voted on by the publication's readership of over 51,000 association and corporate meeting planners) - 2013
- Corporate and Incentive Travel Magazine - Award of Excellence for service to Meeting and Incentive Planners - 1989, 1993, 1996-2001, 2005-2007, 2009, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Meetings and Conventions Magazine, Hall of Fame Inductee: Gold Service - 1988, 1990-2014
- Gold Service Award for Professionalism, Dedication and Service to Corporate and Association Meeting Planners - 1988, 1990 through 2017 (27 consecutive years)
- Successful Meetings Magazine, Pinnacle Award for Outstanding Destination Support Organization - 1991, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000-2017 (20 consecutive years)
Visit Tucson Organization & Staff Awards
- RoxAnne Erickson, Visit Tucson, Outstanding Customer Service, "U.S. Radar Sites in Iceland" Military Reunion, April 2017
- Felipe Garcia, EVP, Visit Tucson, The Most Influential Tucson Man, Arizona Foothills Magazine, December 22, 2016
- Mary Rittmann & Dan Gibson, Southern Arizona Chapter of Public Relations Society of America, IMPACT Award, Public Relations Category, Visit Tucson’s Culinary Campaign, October 2016
- Mary Rittmann & Dan Gibson, Arizona Governor’s Tourism Award for Public Relations, June 2016
- Felipe Garcia, Tucson Global Business Executive of the Year, Global Chamber Tucson, March 2016
- Gold Addy Award (Tucson), “Integrated Brand Identity Campaign”, Tucson Festival of Films, March 2016
- Jackie Ludwig, David J. Nivison Award for Excellence in Tourism, 2016
- Platinum Choice Award, excellence in meetings services, Smart Meetings, 2011, 2014, 2015
- Gold Service Award, excellence in meetings sales and services, Meetings & Conventions, (26 consecutive years, most recently in September 2015)
- Pinnacle Award, excellence in meetings sales and services, Successful Meetings, (18-time recipient, most recently in August 2015);
- Visit Tucson, four-year accreditation renewal, Destination Marketing Association International’s (DMAI) Destination Marketing Accreditation Program, DMAI, September 2015
- Three Addy Awards (Tucson): 1) Gold for All Souls Procession story; 2) Silver for Randy Houser “Like a Cowboy” campaign; and 3) Bronze for Visit Tucson’s 2014-15 marketing plan, March 2015
- Felipe Garcia, David J. Nivison Award for Excellence in Tourism, 2013
- Anne Maxon, David J. Nivison Award for Excellence in Tourism, 2012
- Pamela Traficanti, Member of the Month Award, Arizona Sunbelt Chapter, Meeting Professionals International (MPI), 2010
Anniversaries - Visit Tucson's Partners
- Tanque Verde Ranch, locally and privately owned, celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2018.
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, locally and privately owned, marks its 65th anniversary in 2018.
- Hotel Congress, locally and privately owned, celebrates 100 years in 2019.
- The Tucson Museum of Art, founded in 1924, celebrates 95 years in 2019.
Featured For More Information
Testimonials & Awards
Testimonials & Awards Tourism is a 2 billion dollar industry and a vital part of our economic engine. We are quite proud of our staff... Read More
Get More by Giving Back What's the best souvenir you've ever taken home from a trip? Nothing against shot glasses or collectible spoons, but, for... Read More