El Presidio Park
Phone: (520) 791-4873
Located downtown between City Hall and the Old County Courthouse, El Presidio Park sits atop an underground parking garage. The site has been in use since 1539, and the plaza's use as a park dates from 1776. In 1810, a Spanish garrison of about 300 military used the park. The Mormon Battalion first placed the American flag in the park in 1846. The area became known as Barrio Libre (Free Zone) in 1862, and has gone through a number of name changes. The park's present development occurred in 1970-71. This 2.75-acre plaza contains veterans' memorials, including a memorial wall and the Battle of the Bulge monument. There is a small rose garden area dedicated to John F. Kennedy. A large fountain, various art pieces including the Mormon Battalion and the El Soldado Cuera statue of a conquistador, as well as several pieces of modern art adorn the park. El Presidio Park is a favorite location for many community festivals, political gatherings, and weddings.