Tucson Convention Center District
Phone: (520) 235-5600
The Rubi is a place steeped in Tucson history and culture.
Constructed in 1903 (when Arizona was still a territory), the two-story, Italianate Victorian revival-style home was built for Owen T. Rouse and his family. Rouse, originally from Kentucky and an attorney by trade, served as a Missouri state senator before heading west to Arizona in 1885. He served as an Arizona territorial district attorney and associate justice of the U.S. district court, both appointments by President Grover Cleveland. Rouse’s son, Charles Oma Rouse, also participated in Tucson history as one of three students in the University of Arizona’s inaugural graduating class of 1895.
The home was later owned and renovated by its namesake, Pete Rubi, a Pima County Supervisor and Justice of the Peace. After Rubi passed away in 2001, it was purchased by Tom and Susan Cassidy who made further renovations and converted it to an art gallery.