Visit Tucson Sustainability Policy
Mission Statement: Visit Tucson welcomes the world to Tucson to strengthen our vibrant community.
Vision: To elevate Tucson as the dynamic outdoor and cultural hub of the Sonoran Desert.
At Visit Tucson, we are committed to the preservation of our heritage and promoting sustainable tourism practices that minimize negative impacts on the environment, conserve natural resources, and support the cultural traditions and well-being of our community. This sustainability policy supports our commitment to sustainable tourism practices and aims to advance the UN Sustainable Development Goals related to Sustainable Cities and Communities, Climate Action, and Life on Land.
- We will work to reduce our carbon footprint and minimize waste by implementing best practices in energy and water conservation, recycling, and sustainable transportation within our internal operations.
- We will encourage our staff, partners, and visitors to adopt sustainable practices, such as reducing energy consumption, conserving water, and minimizing waste.
- We will prioritize the use of eco-friendly products and services, such as energy-efficient lighting and green cleaning supplies.
- We will support local initiatives that promote conservation, restoration, and protection of natural resources, such as water conservation efforts, riparian restoration, and responsible recreation.
- We will support Tucsonans by promoting sustainable tourism practices that benefit residents, preserve cultural heritage, and promote social equity.
- We will work to minimize the negative impacts of tourism on local communities, such as overcrowding and cultural appropriation, by promoting responsible travel behavior among our visitors.
- We will collaborate with stakeholders to identify and address social sustainability challenges, such as economic inequality and cultural preservation.
- We will prioritize the use of local products and services to support the local economy and reduce the carbon footprint of our operations.
- We will promote sustainable tourism practices that contribute to the long-term economic viability of Tucson, while minimizing negative impacts on the community and our natural resources.
- We will work to maximize the economic benefits of tourism for Tucson by promoting responsible travel practices, supporting local businesses, and creating job opportunities.
- We will collaborate with local stakeholders to identify and address economic sustainability challenges, such as seasonality, market saturation, and competition from other destinations.
- We will measure and report on the economic impact of our operations and the tourism industry as a whole and use this information to inform our larger sustainability strategy.
Implementation and Review:
- We will communicate this policy to our staff, partners, and visitors, and encourage their participation in sustainability initiatives.
- We will establish sustainability targets in our strategic plans and track our progress towards achieving them.
- We will review and update this policy periodically to ensure it remains relevant and effective.