Awards, Accolades & Anniversaries
Recognition for Tucson's travel industry, accolades for jobs well-done & anniversaries of tourism partners.
Awards & Accolades
Tucson Destination & Visit Tucson Partners (updated October 2019)
- Tucson named to list of "The Best Arizona Cities To Visit During The Christmas Season," by Travel Awaits, Oct. 7, 2019. The Fourth Avenue Winter Street Fair and Tucson's typically sunny days are highlighted.
- Tucson ranks one of the "25 Most Fun Cities in America," with scoring based on entertainment and recreation, nightlife and parties and cost factors, according to a WalletHub.com report featured in USA Today Travel, Sep. 16, 2019.
- Tucson named Arizona's coolest city in "The Coolest City to Visit in Each State," The Discoverer travel blog, August 14, 2019: "Local wineries, craft breweries, delectable southwestern cuisine and a thriving and innovative art scene pack the already naturally-gorgeous Tucson with even more reasons to visit."
- Tucson ranks among "7 Fantastic Cities That Could Be America's Next "It" Vacation Spots," TripAdvisor, August 5, 2019: "For the adventurous travelers among us looking for a new favorite city to explore, we present to you 7 up-and-coming US cities ready to claim their share of the spotlight as top-tier destinations."
- #2 Best Places/Towns to Live, due in large part to its bicycling community, Outside Magazine, July 29, 2019
- #37 out of the 50 best large cities in the United States, per Resonance Consultancy’s 2019 America’s Best Cities report.
- Visit Tucson Named 'Tourism Leader of the Year for 2019' by the Arizona Lodging & Tourism Association (AzLTA), May 22, 2019
- #3 city in America for LGBTQ-friendly retirement, Top 20 Cities for LGBTQ Retirement in 2019, SeniorAdvice.com, April 9, 2019
- #9 of "10 Best Bang-For-The-Buck Vacation Destinations" around the world, Fodor's Travel guidebooks, reported on Forbes.com, Jan. 14, 2019
- Tucson named among worldwide “19 best places to travel in 2019,” Orbitz Travel Blog, December 13, 2018, for being a premier wellness destination.
- Tucson selected as part of the 2019 Readers’ Choice Award Winners by SportsEvents Magazine, an industry publication focused exclusively on helping sports event planners produce excellent competitions in the United States, November 13, 2018
- 7 Rising Cities That Should Be On Your 2019 Travel Bucket List, TripAdvisor, October 22, 2018
- The Délice Network accepted Tucson as a member of its international association that focuses on food-related tourism to increase economic development and well-being within cities. (October 2018)
- White Stallion Ranch, winner of the USA Today 10Best Reader's Choice Travel Award, reported in Arizona Daily Star, August 21, 2018
- #1 of 10, The Most Dog-Friendly Cities in America in 2018, SmartAsset.com, July 24, 2018
- #3 of 10 Best Cities for Remote Workers, MoveBuddha.com Blog, July 9, 2018
- #16 of 25 Best Cities for Outdoor Space, Pots, Planters & More blog, Jul 6, 2018
- #8 of 100 Best Cities for Recreation in the United States, WalletHub, July 3, 2018
- Tucson, 10th Most Affordable Destination for An Individual; 11th Most Affordable Destination for Families, SmartAsset, June 19, 2018
- El Guero Canelo, America’s Classics Award, James Beard Foundation, May 2018
- Tucson, The Most Underrated Vacation Spot in Arizona, The Daily Meal, Trip Ideas, MSN.com, May 8, 2018
- #5 of 10 cities ranked overall in America’s Best Places for Bikes, PlacesForBikes Rating System, May 2, 2018
Visit Tucson & Tucson Destination Marketing Awards
- Association Conventions & Facilities magazine - Distinctive Achievement Award, August/September 2017, September 2019,
- Cvent, Inc. - Top 50 Meeting Destinations in the United States - 2013 , 2015, 2016, 2017,
- Corporate & Incentive Travel magazine - Award of Excellence for service to meeting and incentive planners, selected by the subscribers - 1989, 1993, 1996-2001, 2005-2007, 2009, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Gold Service Award for Professionalism, Dedication and Service to Corporate and Association Meeting Planners - 1988, 1990-2017 (27 consecutive years in 2017)
- Successful Meetings Magazine, Pinnacle Award for Outstanding Destination Support Organization - 1991, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000-2018 (20 consecutive years in 2018)
Anniversaries - Visit Tucson Partners
This list marks the year each business or major annual event began operating.
- Arizona Inn – 90th anniversary in 2020 (1930-2020)
- Main Gate Square-Marshall Foundation, celebrates 90 years, since first stores opened, in 2020
- Hotel Congress, locally and privately owned, celebrates 100 years in 2019
- The Tucson Museum of Art, founded in 1924, celebrates 95 years in 2019
- Old Tucson, Wild West attraction and film location, celebrates 80 years in 2019
- Fourth Avenue Winter Street Fair celebrates 50 years in December in 2019
- All Souls Procession – 30th anniversary in 2019
- Loft Film Fest – 10th anniversary in 2019
- UA Presents marks 25 years in 2019
- Tanque Verde Ranch, locally and privately owned, celebrated its 150th anniversary in 2018
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, locally and privately owned, marked its 65th anniversary in 2018