Awards, Accolades & Anniversaries
Recognition for Tucson's travel industry, accolades for jobs well-done & anniversaries of tourism partners.
Awards & Accolades
Tucson Destination & Visit Tucson Partners (updated January 2019)
- #9 of "10 Best Bang-For-The-Buck Vacation Destinations" around the world, Fodor's Travel guidebooks, reported on Forbes.com, Jan. 14, 2019.
- Tucson named among worldwide “19 best places to travel in 2019,” Orbitz Travel Blog, December 13, 2018, for being one of the nation’s premier wellness destinations.
- Tucson selected as part of the 2019 Readers’ Choice Award Winners by SportsEvents Magazine, an industry publication focused exclusively on helping sports event planners produce excellent competitions in the United States, November 13, 2018.
- 7 Rising Cities That Should Be On Your 2019 Travel Bucket List, TripAdvisor, October 22, 2018
- The Délice Network accepted Tucson as a new member; this international association focuses on food-related economic development to increase attractiveness and grow well-being within a destination. (October 2018)
- #1 of 10, The Most Dog-Friendly Cities in America in 2018, SmartAsset.com, July 24, 2018
- #3 of 10 Best Cities for Remote Workers, MoveBuddha.com Blog, July 9, 2018
- #16 of 25 Best Cities for Outdoor Space, Pots, Planters & More blog, Jul 6, 2018
- #8 of 100 Best Cities for Recreation in the United States, WalletHub, July 3, 2018
- Tucson, 10th Most Affordable Destination for An Individual; 11th Most Affordable Destination for Families, SmartAsset, June 19, 2018
- El Guero Canelo, America’s Classics Award, James Beard Foundation, May 2018
- Tucson, The Most Underrated Vacation Spot in Arizona, The Daily Meal, Trip Ideas, MSN.com, May 8, 2018
- #5 of 10 cities ranked overall in America’s Best Places for Bikes, PlacesForBikes Rating System, May 2, 2018
- Congress Street among "five Great Streets" on American Planning Association's Great Places in America, October 2017.
- #14 of 20 Hippest Cities in the US Everyone Under 30 Wants to Move To, MoveHub, reported in BusinessInsider, December 4, 2017.
- #89 0f 100 World's Best Cities 2018, A Ranking of Global Place Equity, Resonance Consultancy, October 2017.
- Tucson Sports Named 2018 Readers’ Choice Award winner, SportsEvents Media Group, January 2018 issue of SportsEvents Magazine
- Oro Valley Named Arizona's Best Small City, WalletHub, October 30, 2017
- Tucson Among 14 Cities That Give You The Worst Case of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out), Expedia, Viewfinder Travel Blog, October 24, 2017
- #21 of 50 Overall, Most Up-And-Coming Cities in America, Yelp Local Economic Outlook, October 2017
- #16 of 20 America's Most Underrated Cities, Travel + Leisure, October 20, 2017
- Tucson among 9 cities designated as a World Festival & Event City, International Festivals & Events Association (IFEA), September 15, 2017
- #7 of 100 Best Cities for Recreation in 2017, WalletHub.com, July 2017
- #2 of 10 Best Small American Cities 2017 (Population under 1 Million) for 2017, Resonance Consultancy, ResonanceCo.com, June 15, 2017
- #9 of 10 US Cities Where Everyone Wants to Live Right Now, by Business Insider (business news website), Jun. 6, 2017
- #48 of Top 50 Meeting Destinations In The United States, Cvent, May 16, 2017
- #1 Hotel of the Year, Select-Service Division-Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University, Interstate Hotels & Resorts, April 2017
- #2 of Top 9 Hotels for Nature Lovers-Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, Sunset Magazine, April 18, 2017
- #7 of 12 Best Weekend Getaways, U.S. News & World Report, Travel Rankings, March 31, 2017
- #10 of 12 Best Golf Destinations, which includes several international destinations. U.S. News & World Report, Travel Rankings, 2017
- #3 of 10 Best Zoos in the United States-Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, USA Today, 10 Best-Readers' Choice Travel Awards, 2017
- #10 of Top 10 North American Gardens Worth Traveling For-Tucson Botanical Gardens, Garden Tourism Awards, Canadian Garden Council and the American Public Gardens Association, March 27, 2017
- #8 of 15 Best Festivals in Arizona-Arizona International Film Festival, Best of Arizona, March 24, 2017
- #5 of 20 Most Overlooked Cities in America, DK Eyewitness Travel, March 8, 2017
- #23 of 50 best bike cities – Bicycling Magazine, September 2016
- #7 of 10 Top Destinations on the Rise - United States: Tucson, Arizona, TripAdvisor 2016 Travelers' Choice Awards, December 21, 2016
- Best Winter Trips 2017, Tucson, Arizona: For the Food, National Geographic, Published December 6, 2016
- 10 Best Mexican Restaurants in the United States-El Charro Café, Money Inc, September 2016
- #20 best retirement city out of 150 cities in the USA - WalletHub, August 2016
- #2 of top-10 USA cities for stretching a dollar - CareerCast.com, July 2016
- 7th best music city in the USA - Value Penguin, July 2016
- Best under the radar food city in the USA - Wine Enthusiast, July 2016
- #7 of Top 10 most affordable USA travel destinations for a family of 4 - SmartAsset, June 2016
- #7 best bike rides in the world, Mt. Lemmon - 1843 magazine, June 2016
- 9th best summer destination - Travelocity.com, June 2016
- Least expensive cities for business travel - Business Travel News, May 2016
- The first city in the USA named a UNESCO City of Gastronomy - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), December 2015
- Tucson is listed as one of the Best U.S. Cycling Towns in USA Today's 10Best Readers' Choice travel awards poll
- Fox News Travel lists The Loop in Tucson as one of America's Best City Bike Paths
- USA Today named Tucson as one of the Top-10 mountain bike destinations in the country
- Walkscore.com ranks Tucson as the #8 Most Bikeable Large City in the U.S.
- Outside Online lists Tucson as one of the top ten "outside" bike towns
- The Travel Channel lists Tucson as a Top Ten Cycling City in the U.S.
- USA Today Travel lists Tucson as One of Ten Great Places for City Cycling
Visit Tucson & Tucson Destination Marketing Awards
- Association Conventions & Facilities magazine - Distinctive Achievement Award, August/September 2017
- Cvent, Inc. - Top 50 Meeting Destinations in the United States - 2013 , 2015, 2016, 2017,
- Facilities & Destinations - Top Destination Award from Facilities & Destinations magazine, (the award is voted on by the publication's readership of over 51,000 association and corporate meeting planners) - 2013
- Corporate & Incentive Travel magazine - Award of Excellence for service to meeting and incentive planners, selected by the subscribers - 1989, 1993, 1996-2001, 2005-2007, 2009, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Meetings and Conventions Magazine, Hall of Fame Inductee: Gold Service - 1988, 1990-2014
- Gold Service Award for Professionalism, Dedication and Service to Corporate and Association Meeting Planners - 1988, 1990 through 2017 (27 consecutive years)
- Successful Meetings Magazine, Pinnacle Award for Outstanding Destination Support Organization - 1991, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000-2017 (20 consecutive years)
Visit Tucson Organization & Staff Awards
- RoxAnne Erickson, Visit Tucson, Outstanding Customer Service, "U.S. Radar Sites in Iceland" Military Reunion, April 2017
- Felipe Garcia, EVP, Visit Tucson, The Most Influential Tucson Man, Arizona Foothills Magazine, December 22, 2016
- Mary Rittmann & Dan Gibson, Southern Arizona Chapter of Public Relations Society of America, IMPACT Award, Public Relations Category, Visit Tucson’s Culinary Campaign, October 2016
- Mary Rittmann & Dan Gibson, Arizona Governor’s Tourism Award for Public Relations, June 2016
- Felipe Garcia, Tucson Global Business Executive of the Year, Global Chamber Tucson, March 2016
- Gold Addy Award (Tucson), “Integrated Brand Identity Campaign”, Tucson Festival of Films, March 2016
- Jackie Ludwig, David J. Nivison Award for Excellence in Tourism, 2016
- Platinum Choice Award, excellence in meetings services, Smart Meetings, 2011, 2014, 2015
- Gold Service Award, excellence in meetings sales and services, Meetings & Conventions, (26 consecutive years, most recently in September 2015)
- Pinnacle Award, excellence in meetings sales and services, Successful Meetings, (18-time recipient, most recently in August 2015);
- Visit Tucson, four-year accreditation renewal, Destination Marketing Association International’s (DMAI) Destination Marketing Accreditation Program, DMAI, September 2015
- Three Addy Awards (Tucson): 1) Gold for All Souls Procession story; 2) Silver for Randy Houser “Like a Cowboy” campaign; and 3) Bronze for Visit Tucson’s 2014-15 marketing plan, March 2015
- Felipe Garcia, David J. Nivison Award for Excellence in Tourism, 2013
- Anne Maxon, David J. Nivison Award for Excellence in Tourism, 2012
- Pamela Traficanti, Member of the Month Award, Arizona Sunbelt Chapter, Meeting Professionals International (MPI), 2010
Anniversaries - Visit Tucson's Partners
- Tanque Verde Ranch, locally and privately owned, celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2018.
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, locally and privately owned, marks its 65th anniversary in 2018.
- Hotel Congress, locally and privately owned, celebrates 100 years in 2019.
- The Tucson Museum of Art, founded in 1924, celebrates 95 years in 2019.
Featured For More Information
Testimonials & Awards
Testimonials & Awards Tourism is a 2 billion dollar industry and a vital part of our economic engine. We are quite proud of our staff... Read More
Get More by Giving Back What's the best souvenir you've ever taken home from a trip? Nothing against shot glasses or collectible spoons, but, for... Read More