Awards, Accolades & Anniversaries
Recognition for Tucson's travel industry, accolades for jobs well-done & anniversaries of tourism partners.
Awards & Accolades
Tucson Destination & Visit Tucson Partners (updated May 2019)
- Visit Tucson Named 'Tourism Leader of the Year for 2019' by the Arizona Lodging & Tourism Association (AzLTA), May 22, 2019
- #3 city in America for LGBTQ-friendly retirement, Top 20 Cities for LGBTQ Retirement in 2019, SeniorAdvice.com, April 9, 2019.
- #9 of "10 Best Bang-For-The-Buck Vacation Destinations" around the world, Fodor's Travel guidebooks, reported on Forbes.com, Jan. 14, 2019.
- Tucson named among worldwide “19 best places to travel in 2019,” Orbitz Travel Blog, December 13, 2018, for being a premier wellness destination.
- Tucson selected as part of the 2019 Readers’ Choice Award Winners by SportsEvents Magazine, an industry publication focused exclusively on helping sports event planners produce excellent competitions in the United States, November 13, 2018.
- 7 Rising Cities That Should Be On Your 2019 Travel Bucket List, TripAdvisor, October 22, 2018
- The Délice Network accepted Tucson as a new member; this international association focuses on food-related economic development to increase attractiveness and grow well-being within a destination. (October 2018)
- White Stallion Ranch, winner of the USA Today 10Best Reader's Choice Travel Award, reported in Arizona Daily Star, August 21, 2018.
- #1 of 10, The Most Dog-Friendly Cities in America in 2018, SmartAsset.com, July 24, 2018
- #3 of 10 Best Cities for Remote Workers, MoveBuddha.com Blog, July 9, 2018
- #16 of 25 Best Cities for Outdoor Space, Pots, Planters & More blog, Jul 6, 2018
- #8 of 100 Best Cities for Recreation in the United States, WalletHub, July 3, 2018
- Tucson, 10th Most Affordable Destination for An Individual; 11th Most Affordable Destination for Families, SmartAsset, June 19, 2018
- El Guero Canelo, America’s Classics Award, James Beard Foundation, May 2018
- Tucson, The Most Underrated Vacation Spot in Arizona, The Daily Meal, Trip Ideas, MSN.com, May 8, 2018
- #5 of 10 cities ranked overall in America’s Best Places for Bikes, PlacesForBikes Rating System, May 2, 2018
- Congress Street among "five Great Streets" on American Planning Association's Great Places in America, October 2017.
- #14 of 20 Hippest Cities in the US Everyone Under 30 Wants to Move To, MoveHub, reported in BusinessInsider, December 4, 2017.
- #89 0f 100 World's Best Cities 2018, A Ranking of Global Place Equity, Resonance Consultancy, October 2017.
- Tucson Sports Named 2018 Readers’ Choice Award winner, SportsEvents Media Group, January 2018 issue of SportsEvents Magazine
- Oro Valley Named Arizona's Best Small City, WalletHub, October 30, 2017
- Tucson Among 14 Cities That Give You The Worst Case of FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out), Expedia, Viewfinder Travel Blog, October 24, 2017
- #21 of 50 Overall, Most Up-And-Coming Cities in America, Yelp Local Economic Outlook, October 2017
- #16 of 20 America's Most Underrated Cities, Travel + Leisure, October 20, 2017
- Tucson among 9 cities designated as a World Festival & Event City, International Festivals & Events Association (IFEA), September 15, 2017
- #7 of 100 Best Cities for Recreation in 2017, WalletHub.com, July 2017
- #2 of 10 Best Small American Cities 2017 (Population under 1 Million) for 2017, Resonance Consultancy, ResonanceCo.com, June 15, 2017
- #9 of 10 US Cities Where Everyone Wants to Live Right Now, by Business Insider (business news website), Jun. 6, 2017
- #48 of Top 50 Meeting Destinations In The United States, Cvent, May 16, 2017
- #1 Hotel of the Year, Select-Service Division-Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University, Interstate Hotels & Resorts, April 2017
- #2 of Top 9 Hotels for Nature Lovers-Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, Sunset Magazine, April 18, 2017
- #7 of 12 Best Weekend Getaways, U.S. News & World Report, Travel Rankings, March 31, 2017
- #10 of 12 Best Golf Destinations, which includes several international destinations. U.S. News & World Report, Travel Rankings, 2017
- #3 of 10 Best Zoos in the United States-Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, USA Today, 10 Best-Readers' Choice Travel Awards, 2017
- #10 of Top 10 North American Gardens Worth Traveling For-Tucson Botanical Gardens, Garden Tourism Awards, Canadian Garden Council and the American Public Gardens Association, March 27, 2017
- #8 of 15 Best Festivals in Arizona-Arizona International Film Festival, Best of Arizona, March 24, 2017
- #5 of 20 Most Overlooked Cities in America, DK Eyewitness Travel, March 8, 2017
Visit Tucson & Tucson Destination Marketing Awards
- Association Conventions & Facilities magazine - Distinctive Achievement Award, August/September 2017
- Cvent, Inc. - Top 50 Meeting Destinations in the United States - 2013 , 2015, 2016, 2017,
- Corporate & Incentive Travel magazine - Award of Excellence for service to meeting and incentive planners, selected by the subscribers - 1989, 1993, 1996-2001, 2005-2007, 2009, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Gold Service Award for Professionalism, Dedication and Service to Corporate and Association Meeting Planners - 1988, 1990-2017 (27 consecutive years)
- Successful Meetings Magazine, Pinnacle Award for Outstanding Destination Support Organization - 1991, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000-2017 (20 consecutive years)
Anniversaries - Visit Tucson Partners
- Arizona Inn – 90th anniversary in 2020 (1930-2020)
- Main Gate Square-Marshall Foundation, celebrates 90 years, since first stores opened, in 2020
- Hotel Congress, locally and privately owned, celebrates 100 years in 2019
- The Tucson Museum of Art, founded in 1924, celebrates 95 years in 2019
- Old Tucson, Wild West attraction and film location, celebrates 80 years in 2019
- Tanque Verde Ranch, locally and privately owned, celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2018
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, locally and privately owned, marks its 65th anniversary in 2018
- Fourth Avenue Winter Street Fair celebrates 50 years in December in 2019
- All Souls Procession – 30th anniversary in 2019
- Loft Film Fest – 10th anniversary in 2019
- UA Presents marks 25 years in 2019
Featured For More Information
Testimonials & Awards
Testimonials & Awards Tourism is a 2 billion dollar industry and a vital part of our economic engine. We are quite proud of our staff... Read More
Get More by Giving Back What's the best souvenir you've ever taken home from a trip? Nothing against shot glasses or collectible spoons, but, for... Read More